Thursday, January 14, 2010

Being a wannabe

So I'm not Pioneer Woman, and I don't think I ever will be.

But I decided it would be fun to give cooking-her-way a try (i.e. taking a picture every step). It made the process longer, since I had to keep washing my hands before I could pick up the camera, and I broke one egg all over the counter. But it was fun to try!
Second problem: it was a regular-old-boring-unadjusted recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook. I'm a "cooking is a science" type person (I am left-brained, after all) and go by measurements rather than by "feel."
Final issue: I'm not nearly as witty as she is. Josh thinks I'm funny, and the kids laugh (hopefully with me, not at me) but I don't think PW has any competition. At least not from me.

So now that I've taken away all hopes of this being interesting, hopefully you'll still enjoy looking!

Betty Crocker's Quiche Lorraine

Cook up the bacon. I cheated and used cooked bacon, because I have a hard time getting it crispy enough when I do it myself. So there were nitrites in lunch today. I wish we could get cooked uncured bacon (which does taste "real," by the way) but for now it's one or the other.

Grate the swiss cheese. Last time I used swiss that was purchased grated, but it tastes so much better this way (and is a ton cheaper). And swiss is easier than mozzarella, that tends to start smooshing after awhile because it's so soft.
Chop the onion finely.
I love my mini food processor for onions! I'm much less likely to cry!

Roll out the pie crust. Another confession: I've started using Wegmans' pie crusts. It's super-cheap, MSG-free, tasty, and it actually looks nice. Mine never looks very good and it makes such a mess! So for $.99 for 2 crusts, I take the easy way out.

Put bacon in crust.

Add cheese and onion.
Looks like a Mexican dish!

Break 5 eggs. 4 are to go in the quiche, one is to end up on the counter.
Stir until combined. Pour into a bowl (I suppose I could have just put the eggs in the bowl in the first place instead of using a measuring cup).

Add heavy cream. And salt. And pepper (if you like it at all. I'm honestly not sure why I even own pepper, because it never makes it into anything I make!)
Pour into crust.

Bake (425 for 15 minutes, then turn down the heat to 300 for between 30 minutes and probably an hour. It's done when a knife inserted comes out clean, which takes forever in my oven!)

Voila!! Isn't it beautiful?

1 comment:

Laura said...

lol at one being for the counter! i've never tried quiche, but everyone raves about it!