Friday, December 09, 2011

Rockaroni Pizza

Hudson loves to eat. But there are a few things that top his list.

1. Rockaroni
(well, to be completely true to his speech, it's "wockawoni." But I like emphasizing the "rock")

2. Hot dogs

3. Pizza

4. Eggs

One of his favorite lunches is boxed mac n cheese with hot dogs chopped up in it. He would happily eat it multiple times a week. Being as unhealthy as it is, though, I'm not going for that plan.

Recently, he suggested a Rockaroni Pizza. Dinner was already in the oven for that night so his idea didn't make it, but I did put it in the back of my mind.

And today, tired of the normal lunches we eat around here, I decided to give it a try!

It wasn't perfect, but I know what I'll do next time to make it have that status!

So here, without further ado, a Charla/Hudson Creation!

Rockaroni Pizza

Ingredients:
*Pizza dough (or Naan bread, or pitas, or whatever else you can think of for the crust. We went for Naan bread because I had it in the house and it was already lunchtime when I started)

*2 Tablespoons flour

*5 Tablespoons butter, separated

*pinch ground mustard

*1 cup milk

*2 hot dogs, warmed up

*2 cups sharp (or exta-sharp) cheddar, shredded. Or half shredded and half cubed, if you want to be like me

*breadcrumbs

*half a package of broccoli, cooked and drained, and put in a blender/food processor until it's a meal-like consistency.


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put Naan bread on a cookie sheet, or pizza dough onto a pizza sheet.

2. Melt 2 T butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mustard until bubbly and thick.

3. Add milk, heating and stirring constantly until boiling. Add half the cheese (the cubed half if you were like me), the chopped hot dogs, and the broccoli, and stir until cheese is melted.

4. Melt remaining 3T butter, and add enough bread crumbs to make it the texture of brown sugar.

5. Pour cheese sauce on crust(s). Top with remaining (shredded) cheese and then bread crumbs.

6. Cook 6-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.

7. Cut, serve and enjoy!

No comments: