Thursday, December 11, 2008

Advent Calendar and Trees

I made the girls an advent calendar! we bought one years ago that Jasmine's finally old enough to enjoy, but I thought it would be cool to make one that would be even more personal.



They love it!! It's also a great way to "refresh" their memories on out-of-state family members, since they only see my brothers and sisters-in-law a couple times a year (*sniff*)

And...I think I'm going to make a statement I likely won't turn away from next year.
We're going to take a year or two off of putting up the Christmas tree. When we put it up this year, we made sure the fragile ornaments were on the top or on a different tree (I have a tiny tree on the armoire with ornaments from Josh's grandma that are beautiful and very thin glass...I don't even want to THINK about them breaking!) But I hadn't thought it all the way through, and the girls have been pulling off ornaments daily and playing with the hooks that hold them on the tree. No thank you!!! That, and butchering the garland. So I moved everything to the top half of the tree. Talk about ridiculous-looking!



The only reason there are lights all the way down is because this is a pre-lit tree!

So I want to put this picture up for all to see, and so that I can look at it next November and realize that we don't want to go through that again next year. Yes, I know I could spend the whole month taking them back from the girls and punishing them for disobeying, but it's so incredibly stressful. And they know that, when I'm in my shower or making dinner, I can't stop them. So it's just not worth it. I can't enjoy the tree at all this year!

(edit: there's no way I could go without a tree at Christmastime. I know we'll just find a way to blockade it like we did when the girls were little. It's just overwhelming to think of right now. Hormones are running rampant this pregnancy and my emotions are INSANE!)

Done grumbling. I'm loving the music and the joy in the girls' eyes when we turn another door on their advent calendars, and listening to Jasmine talk about Jesus being born in a barn. And that's what it's about!

No comments: