Monday, January 03, 2011

Crash-Course in Conversions

We got the girls a great cookbook for Christmas, and Jasmine chose the Alphabet Soup recipe as their first meal.
So I added the needed ingredients to the grocery list last week, and got everything we needed.
Except the Onion Soup Mix, which is on Josh's "no" list. Campbell's brand is completely forbidden from this house, because absolutely everything they make has MSG (or autolyzed yeast extract, which acts exactly the same way).
I thought there was a natural alternative, but it's for onion soup dip, and I'm not sure it would convert.
So I googled "homemade onion soup mix" and found a couple. The one I found was easy enough....
But beef bouillon isn't something we have on hand for the same reason as the onion soup mix. We have an alternative, but it says how to convert it to cubes, and the recipe calls for granules.
Did a quick search in the back of my Betty Crocker cookbook for the conversion from granules to cubes, and then my "better than bouillon" to cubes. No problem.
One more ingredient was a problem: seasoned pepper.
No problem: another google gave me a recipe. Of course I don't own white pepper so I made up my own version: black pepper with a tiny bit of nutmeg and cloves.
Hopefully it hasn't been changed so much that it won't work....

No comments: