Thursday, January 06, 2011

Grumpy, but for good reason

Just a warning: this will be the most negative post I've ever written. I usually make sure I'm in a decent mood before I post. But I'm hoping to look back at this someday and laugh.

There is nothing even remotely enjoyable about winter.

~the dry air means we're constantly shocking each other whenever we go to hold hands to pray, or to give someone a hug or a kiss

~it takes 10 minutes to get everyone into clothes and boots to leave the house

~and twice as long to get the kids buckled in around their bulky coats

~the car isn't warm for half the drive to wherever we go

~the roads are dangerous if it's freshly snowing

~and old snow can interfere with people trying to turn onto the road (thus our accident when Jasmine was a baby)

~shoveling

~salt is horrible on our car

~ice

~Hudson lost his mitten playing in the snow this morning. Then fell trying to come back inside.

~my skin doesn't handle the dry weather either, so I have to buy "sensitive" body wash.

~and my knuckles are still dry and bleeding. No lotion helps, though some make it worse.

~it's not pretty. maybe it would be if we had occasional glimmers of sun. I'd warrant a guess that we've had about 10 minutes of sun since the new year started


I'm starting to understand why Buffalonians have a reputation for drinking. (as the Big N Rich song says, "man those Yankees drink enough to drown!!") I'm starting to pray more fervently that God has somewhere else for us, and soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can add that the kids are constantly sick in the winter, too.
- Christin Snell

Unknown said...

I didn't know I was a guest blogger :P Please add in that I dislike -40 with windchill and super high heating bills. I'm sure I could add a hundred other things I dislike but I think you've covered the basics. Just think, we are only a few weeks into winter :(

Amy Turon said...

Charlene, have you ever tried putting Bag Balm on your hands at night, then covering with white gloves. Good stuff.

Southern Momma said...

I was told shortly after moving to WI that there's a reason the state is known for beer. It's to keep us warm!