Sunday, July 24, 2011

Photo Class

I took a photo class today. It was so much fun!
The thing I was most nervous about was the one hour live model shoot. It's one thing to take pictures of your kids, but how was this going to work??
As I looked through my pictures, my discomfort was pretty obvious. I didn't fight my way around the other photographers to get close enough to get a decent shot. I ended up with a lot of elbows in the shots

and a lot where the backdrop just didn't cover enough of the area behind the models.

After about the halfway point, I wandered over to one of the two instructors and told him about my frustration with the backdrops, and how I wanted to try for different angles but the backdrops kept me from being able to do that.

He understood, and pulled me aside to see things from a different view. I'm not sure if he'd already found the view and was waiting for someone to show it to, or he came up with it, but it was very cool.
Then he started tweaking my camera settings and making me zoom in closer, and actually step closer.
Until I got *the* shot.
The shot.
He had told us at the beginning that he wanted us to give him our memory cards so he could critique some of the pictures. But after I got this shot, he told me he really wanted to make sure he had my card. To make sure I got it to him and that I reminded him that he wanted to see that picture.
I was obedient ;)

While we ate lunch, the two instructors looked through some of the cards and chose some pictures to go over after lunch.
He walked through a bunch of them, things that were good and things not-so-good.
Then he showed my first picture...and then the second one.
And said it was one of his favorites from the whole shoot today.
And had me acknowledge myself as the one who'd taken the picture.

Granted, he had a lot to do with the shot, but it still felt absolutely incredible.

So if you see a redhead floating on air sometime today, wave!

2 comments:

Suzy said...

Charla you rocked this!! Good for you girl - what a fabulous shot! TYFS!

Nicole Religioso said...

Love seeing the progression from your first picture to your last! It's cool to see you "shooting" outside of the box!