Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Button Letter

We have a lot of buttons.

Thousands and thousands of buttons.

See, when my sisters were little and my mom spent too much time at antique stores, she would bring home a small container of antique buttons whenever she saw them. It was her way of giving the kids a collection of something fun, something they didn't know existed or could ever actually use.

Sorry, Mom. I mean, she bought them something they spent hours playing with. They really did. They're the ones who organized them all into color order. Makes me happy to see them that way.

But now those sisters aren't so little, so they donated them to our homeschool room.

About once a year, I think of a project that uses "a ton of buttons" and ends up using a couple hundred. At this rate there will be "only" 5 jars left when I die.

Unless they start buying me more.

I bought the kids their initial letter at Hobby Lobby a couple months ago. They were cheap (under $2 each) and they had all three. I knew we'd eventually use them...

So today we tackled them!

First, they put on their adorable smocks.

Then they each colored their letter with whatever paint they wanted. Hudson almost wanted pink but eventually settled on dark blue.

After lunch, they glued buttons on the surface. And I covered the whole surface with a ton of aerosol hairspray. There would be too many tears if the buttons started falling off right away.

Then I took pictures and the glass out of three of our 8x10 frames that were on our wall, and put the letters in the middle.




At some point tonight I'll figure out something strong enough to hold it there to put up on the wall. But for now, I'm too lazy to do anything more I wanted them to have plenty of time to dry.

They love the final result, and I think they'll look great on the wall!

1 comment:

Nicole Religioso said...

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! So awesome, looks like something you would buy in an art gallery store!

It's also great that the bunch of buttons you received from your mother will be displayed...I'm sure that your children will be fascinated by the story of how she brought you girls home the jars of buttons!

Great job Charla! Your homeschool looks like fun :)