Tuesday, December 04, 2012

A little vent

I'm not aiming at anyone in particular in this post, so please don't think I'm pointing fingers at you.
I have a fancy camera. I love buying more stuff for it. Each time I buy something, it lets me do something I couldn't do before. Without my expensive, heavy camera, I would be very (very) limited.
But I don't take good pictures because I have a camera.
Case in point:

This is the third or fourth year we went to see Santa at the cute caboose nearby. It's free, it's not the mall, and the caboose is fun to see. 
I've always brought my big camera with me. But two years ago it was bitter cold and it was when I started having issues with that camera. So between that, and the fact that this is the same picture I've taken every year, I decided to be a rebel and use my cell phone, and to leave it to Santa's "elf" who got the top picture.
She took two pictures. The first one was blurry.
The one you're looking at was the second one she took.
I should add that she has a camera as fancy as(actually I think it's almost identical to) mine.
I also got one with my cell phone. A really not-good camera. I didn't bring the iPad with a decent one as far as "cell phone" cameras go. 

This is what I got:

(ignore the fact that they're not looking at me. You can tell it was taken the same moment as the elf's picture).


It's not the camera. I need the camera, but more importantly, it's the hours and hours and hours I've spent, learning my camera, learning how to see the light, studying and practicing and studying some more.

I know I have more to learn. I know what I want to learn more about. And yes, I do want more gear. But it's not the camera. It's what I've learned to do with it.

I will now get off my soapbox. Thanks for listening.



2 comments:

ChloƩ said...

Yep, a good camera doesn't make a good pic just like a good set of pans doesn't make good meals. It's just a tool.

Karen said...

Good sneakers don't make me any better of a runner...You take that camera and you keep making your beautiful art. =-)
And I will keep admiring it, wishing I had your skills.