Thursday, January 24, 2008

Rain: A Beatles Experience

Last night, Josh took me out to Fuddrucker's for dinner, and then to a Rain concert. They were absolutely incredible.
The auditorium was packed. (which made me think. If there were that many people there who like The Beatles' music that much, don't you think we could have a real "oldies" station?? The former oldies station is now supposedly "variety," though their favorite genre is 70s love songs (i.e. the stuff I had to hear when I worked at JoAnn's and hated!) It seems like there's enough interest to keep it going, but maybe I'm wrong.
They started with the first American performance: it was as though we were at the Ed Sullivan show (just older and not all women!), down to the "applause" signs that lit u
There were big screens on the sides of the stage that went along with whatever era they did. So during the "Sgt. Pepper" era, they had psychedelic colors flying around. It really added to the whole experience.
And they played and sang amazingly well. Looking at their faces you knew it wasn't the real guys, but you really wouldn't have known otherwise. (well, and "Paul" wasn't left-handed!) They played everything perfectly!
As someone who was born after everything happened, this was an incredible experience for me. Between each "era" they showed TV clips (and a couple commercials! I didn't realize people actually ironed their hair to get it straight!!!) and the music made more sense to me. Learning the music independent of the rest of what went on when they sang it, I missed out on a whole layer of the music.
For any Beatles fans, I'd strongly recommend Rain. And I'd love to go again if they come to the area!!

No comments: