Wednesday, February 13, 2008

More realizations about MSG

Josh has another MSG headache this morning. Thankfully he's getting much better, but it's making me aware of it all over again. So I thought I'd share some fun things I've found!

I found this site this morning with facts and myths about monosodium glutamate. Josh is going to go to the health food store and get some umeboshi, or Japanese pickled sour plum, which is supposed to help get over the reactions. He also mentioned 7-Up or Coke helping (though then you add more chemicals...but at that point, as long as you feel better, it's a risk worth taking!)

Unfortunately, it means the delicious meal we enjoyed at Red Robin was the culprit. So we won't be going back. I'm working on writing a letter to them, asking them to notify us when they take it out of their foods...it was absolutely delicious, but not worth the reaction two days later!

I have two things I'd love to see. I would love if MSG started getting listed on the sides of food like when things contain soy or peanuts, so we knew what things we could have, without any question.
The other thing that would be fantastic is if companies started losing money on their MSG-laden foods and stopped putting it in things. I guess lawsuits or laws could do it, but I'd much rather see it happen without any more laws!

Hopefully someday we'll be able to enjoy places like Wendy's, Little Caesar's, Red Robin and KFC again. But for now, those places (and many things at other places) are completely out for us.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Charlene - one more thought...do you guys have Trader Joes out there? Great store with an organic base. If not - you can go to when when you come out to a Yankees game! =-)