Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Favorite Things II

Yesterday was another nightmare of a day. When Josh and Jasmine were at the hospital downtown getting her leg x-rayed to make sure it was healing correctly (which it is, praise God!), the car was broken into. They smashed the passenger-side window to get to the GPS and iPod nano. And the transmitter and other thingamajig needed to plug those in and so that the iPod played through the radio. (c'mon, tell me you're not in awe of my technical knowledge!)
Car insurance will cover the cost of a replacement window (which is supposed to be repaired today but I haven't heard anything from Josh) but we're on our own for the other. Deductible is too high for homeowner's insurance to cover the cost of the things stolen.

Anyways, we ended the day well, getting a lovely date while the girls spent that entire time swimming (yay for fiberglass casts!) but by the time we got home, we were all exhausted. So no post! I'm sure I had a bunch of people who were anxious to hear what else we like (man, I'm sarcastic today!) so I'm sorry.

So, without further ado...

Wednesday: online/computer stuff

Some of this might apply to everyone, others to almost no one. But in case you're looking for new places/things to try, here's what we've found to be the best :)

If you find yourself needing to rename a bunch of files, but dread doing them all individually, there's an awesome (free) download I use. It's called Batch ReNamer, and it's awesome. Simple, efficient, and makes the process almost fun!

If you ever get into digital scrapbooking, or are even thinking about trying it, you need to check out thedigichick.com. I know I'm not impartial, but it's the friendliest, most helpful, most talented, least drama-filled site you'll find for digital scrapping. And if you get into hybrid (which means you do part on the computer and part with scissors and glue), thehybridchick.com has amazing tutorials :)

Looking for free fonts? My favorite is dafont.com. And my favorite font designer, when I'm not looking for typewriter fonts? Kimberly Geswein :)

And if you decide you'd like to learn how to improve the look of your pictures once you've taken them (and you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements), I highly recommend Jessica Sprague's Photo Editing: Good-to-Great Workflow. (not free, unlike the rest of the things I've linked to today, but well worth the money) I consider that it finally made my camera purchases and my upgrade in Photoshop completely worth it. Since I took the course, I've gotten so many comments (positive ;) ) on my photos, and it's not that I've taken better pictures than that (the pictures that won first and second in last week's contest were from a year and an older camera ago!)

No comments: