Friday, February 05, 2010

Finding my "voice"

I'm participating in a very cool photography "challenge." It's more aimed at stretching us and helping us develop as photographers, not a typical challenge.
I'm running behind, since it started right before our Disney World trip. They should be announcing the topic of week three today, and I just finished week one last night. But I'm having so much fun working through this, I'm glad there's no deadline!
For week one, the job was to find one thing and take approximately 75 pictures of it, and then go through the pictures and see which one was truly "us."
At first I planned to do it of something in the lobby of Animal Kingdom Lodge in Disney World, but I was too self-conscious with people around, and couldn't focus on any one thing long enough.
So then I decided to try to do self-portraits. I knew none of the kids would go along with that many pictures, so I'd try to just do me. But without a tripod and still feeling unable to concentrate on any one thing for very long, I quit at 25, with only a coupl semi-okay pictures.
So back to the drawing board. I looked around the house for awhile and couldn't figure out what to do...and suddenly thought of ballet slippers! But since I have no idea what happened to either Jasmine's OR Bekah's, I thought I'd do my old pointe shoes instead. The funniest thing was my realization halfway through this that I really haven't changed much. All the way through middle school, all projects, especially in art, had something to do with ballet. So this really is staying true to *me* :D

This is one of my early shots. I liked the lighting of this and the "clean" look of the ribbons tucked in.

Started messing around a bit more. This is actually one of my favorites...I love the feel of this.

Changing angles of the camera as well as how I put the shoes, trying for a more random feel (yes, I recognize the irony)

I really liked the way the shoes sat in this one, but wasn't quite done.

This is my favorite shot!
I'm considering printing a couple of these, maybe with a picture of Bekah as a ballerina:



1 comment:

Amy Turon said...

I really love your self-portrait Charlene. It's very professional. Nice work.