Thursday, February 25, 2010

How do I love thee, Wegmans? Let me count the ways

(I've been learning about couponing from some scrapping friends for the past couple weeks, though I haven't actually started on my own yet, and because it's tailored to the store, I'm looking more into Wegmans' policies and remembering just why I love them).

1. They make the BEST chocolate cake ever. Their white cake's pretty incredible too, for not being chocolate. Haven't tried their carrot cake yet but want to.

2. They're a fantastic place to work. When I worked there, I filled out the "employee satisfaction" survey and that was actually the first year they placed #1 on Forbes' list of the 100 best companies to work for. They deserve those high rankings! And happy employees=happy customers.

3. Their scholarship program is fantastic. It attracts hard-working college-bound high school students, and it's really nice to get that extra money during college (I figured it out when I was in college; it was like getting an extra 2-3 hours of work a week, without actually having to, you know, work)

4. They have great bathrooms. Having little kids to take shopping, that's a big deal. I love that some of them have rocking chairs in case their babies need a little snuggle/nursing time. (though I've always just taken them back out to the car, but that's just me)

5. They have a fantastic organic/natural food section, and it's getting bigger! I can get most of our fruits and veggies organically. And our store sells potted basil plants, which I've done a few times (though they eventually die; not sure if they're rootbound or my semi-green thumb does them in) so I can pick off the fresh leaves for recipes.

6. I just found out I can see our receipts online! As well as getting the weekly flier in my inbox (which I just signed up for), I can look back at past receipts! How fun is that?? So now that I'm learning more about coupons, I can look back at old receipts to see how much things cost and evaluate how much I'm learning.

7. Wegmans has awesome "FYFGA" varieties of food ("Food you feel good about") in addition to the basic "generics." Some still have "natural flavors," which Josh has to be careful of in case there's MSG, but most are much safer and healthier. And yummier.


No, I don't work there anymore. They're not paying me to write this. I really do love my supermarket and never, ever, ever shop at Tops. Hate it there. Ugh. And the only Super-Walmart is a long ways away and doesn't have ANY of the things mentioned above!! So I'm a Wegmans shopper for life, and my kids don't know any other way of doing it either!

(unrelated side note: Okay. how bizarre is it that half of the time "Wegmans" gets red-underlined by spell-check, and the other half of the time it's fine???)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I love Wegman's too! I'm from Western New York and when I first moved to New Jersey I missed Wegman's so much! But then they started opening stores here - hooray! When we moved, it was one of our criteria that we not be too far away from a Wegman's!

Heather T. said...

No Wegman's here on the West Coast, I don't think... sounds like a great place!