Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Consistency

It's never been one of my strengths, but I am trying to be more consistent.
Not just with blogging, but with life as a whole.

I've been working hard on my AlphaKids. Want to see?
I still have about 62 more letters to extract.
Well, 62 more pictures of letters. They're still collected from the same 26 letters shown here. They take 15-20 minutes each to extract, when I don't stop mid-Y to post to my blog, so that's another 15-20 hours' worth of work ahead of me before I can start offering custom names.

In other news, we've discovered that Jasmine does much better with routine and consistency than with a loosey-goosey schedule. She's calmer and happier and more pleasant. So if you ask her what she thinks of her summer vacation, don't be surprised if she looks at you like you have three heads. She's loving that we're doing school nearly every day, and I am too. We still have breaks, and we'll still take vacation, but the idea of a 3-month summer really doesn't need to be a part of our lives any more than sitting behind a desk and raising her hand to talk to her teacher does.

So I guess life in general is full of learning opportunities for me to figure out how to be consistent. How long before I really learn it?

2 comments:

Amy Turon said...

Food for thought Charlene....take a look at this blog entry: http://zenhabits.net/no-goal/

I personally have been attempting to actually move in the opposite direction - towards no goals. All my life I lived a goal-centered life. It really didn't work too well for me. I typically ended the day with a sigh, thinking of all the goals for the day that I didn't reach. How did this lifestyle make me feel? Like I was generally not getting much accomplished.

Since trying this new lifestyle, my focus is to "stay in the flow." I center on my inner peace, clear the inner clutter, listen closely for God's whispers throughout my day, and focus on serenity in all that I do.

Charles and I are both implementing this lifestyle, and have found it to be increasingly productive, full of surprises, and feels like "riding the wave."

Just something to think about.

Charla said...

That's awesome, Aunt Amy!
I agree completely. Whenever I write a real to-do list it always leaves me stressed and frustrated.
In this case, I mean more that I need to be a little more consistent with the necessities in life, like getting the dishes done when I make them dirty and not letting the "hard parts" of Jasmine's school day slide to the end of the day/week. I'd love to blog more consistently, too, because I love looking back at the normal day-to-day posts as well as the highlights and frustrations. But obviously that's not quite as high on my priorities list!
I have been trying to spend more and more time listening for God's voice as I go about my day. It really is incredible what a huge difference it makes in how I see, and go about, my day! :)