Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I should have known better...

Back in November, I had the silly idea that it would be fun to make a few of the Christmas presents we were giving. One of the ideas was to make blocks for Jasmine, using pictures or very simple digital pages.
I didn't get around to it. I had so much else going on, and she was getting plenty of other presents, so it got put on the back burner.
But I finally decided to get it done, since I'm doing an "anti-procrastination week" with TDC. So I cut the pages Josh printed weeks ago, and glued them on, and once it was dry I coated the pictures with mod podge so they had a nice glaze.
I used a styrofoam block, which was a good idea because it was the only thing I could find. But the pictures didn't go all the way to the end of the sides, so styrofoam is visible on all the sides. I wasn't sure what Jasmine would think of that, but decided to just go ahead and finish it.
That's when I made my first mistake. I said, "Jasmine, would you like a present?" and handed her the block. I showed her how all the sides had pictures of her, and she thought that was cool.
Next thing I knew:





Yup. She thought the pictures came off. Or needed to, anyhow. I'm not sure if my calling it a present was part of the problem, or if she would have done this anyhow. But three of the pictures are off (she's trying to put them back on in the bottom picture), and the others are on their way.
I'm disappointed, but not at her reaction. For some reason the mod podge messed with the colors on some of the pictures, and if it touched the styrofoam it brought up tiny "fuzzies" with the brush. So it was already a frustration before I gave it to her.

I am so glad I've gone digital. I love that I can make anything I want to, spending hours making it "just right," and not have to worry about stupid things like styrofoam fuzzies or pictures getting discolored from touching something else. In case there was any doubt, not only will I never go back to paper scrapping, I'm also not going to be one of those "hybrid" scrappers I keep seeing in the scrapping magazines!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

That is too fun that she took them right off!

Nathalie, eNKay Design said...

{{{{ big hugs}}} Next time you buy wooden blocks and then crop the photos to exactly the size of the wooden blocks.

Alice said...

Hi, Charlene!

A bunch of my e-mails were deleted during an upgrade, so I lost your address!

The orchestra I'm in is the Cheektowaga Symphony Orchestra. We meet on Tuesday nights in Cheektowaga for 2 1/2 hours. I know, it's LONG! What I like about it is that they do it concert by concert. Right now, we're working up to a concert in May, and then we'll have a few weeks off before starting up again. It's about eight weeks of practice working up to a concert. Everyone is really nice, and it's okay to miss a practice every once in awhile. I didn't know that you play the clarinet! If I had to play another instrument, that is what I would play. Fun! I don't think you have to try out for this orchestra, so there is no pressure there. :-)