Thursday, March 12, 2009

Baby Update

I found out at my appointment yesterday that I'm 40% effaced and 1 cm dilated. She said some people can stay like that for weeks, but she "doesn't trust redheads," so I'm supposed to put my feet up for two more weeks. She put "couch potato" on my chart. I'm to "act like a queen" (explain that to my two princesses, who think I should treat them like royalty!!) until I hit 36 weeks, when his lungs should be developed enough not to need a NICU stay.

Talk about scary! I had been headed towards putting myself on bedrest for the past week because of contractions last Wednesday, but at that point I had the possibility in the back of my mind that I might have been imagining things. I have a tendency towards being a hypochondriac (just ask Katie, who will kindly agree), so I figured I was being overly cautious.

But to hear that I actually have to take it easy??? That's completely different! I don't want him to have any complications at birth. And I don't want him to have to be born at the high-risk hospital (I didn't have a good experience there after the car accident when I was pregnant with Bekah, and I know of someone else who had problems getting them to go along with her "absolutely no bottles" request, so I want nothing to do with that hospital)

So I'll be keeping my feet up, drinking lots of water, and praying that he stays put until at least the 24th.

Insane!! My mom had all of us late. Justin was a scheduled C-section on his due date, but the rest of us showed up fashionably late. Jasmine was 2 weeks late. It was crazy enough that Bekah came 11 days early, but for Hudson to be threatening to show up 5 1/2 weeks early is just beyond my comprehension!

I didn't sleep well last night, thinking through all of this...and when I did sleep, most of my dreams were about wanting to walk/move things/lift things and realize I wasn't supposed to. I hadn't realized just how contrary I am, but the fact that I was told (twice!) not to vacuum makes me wish I could that much more!!

So I'm thankful for my laptop, since this is where I'm spending even more time these days. Thankful that the girls are old enough to play together now (wishing they didn't think the bathroom sink was the coolest place to play; Josh had to clean up a deluge the other day). Thankful that he's far enough along that he shouldn't have any serious preemie complications. Thankful that it's only 12 days before he can show up. And thankful that everything looks absolutely perfect with him, so in 12 days he can show up and be problem-free!!

Oh, and this probably means we should make sure we have some, uh, clothes and blankets bought and cleaned for him pretty soon!!

No comments: