Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My poor baby!

Jasmine was playing on the trampoline at Josh's parents' house last night. She wasn't doing anything wild-and-crazy, just jumping.
When she landed one jump, though, something happened that hurt. She screamed like I've never heard her scream.
We thought maybe she'd pulled a muscle or gotten a charley horse. She wouldn't walk, so Josh brought her back into the house.
She put ice on it for a couple minutes and told us it was her knee that hurt, not her leg. We brought her home (stopping for ice cream to help soothe the pain...actually, ice cream had already been in the plans) and she kept insisting that she couldn't walk.
The night was horrible. She kept waking up crying. It finally occurred to me that it was likely the pain of moving it in her sleep that was hurting her.
This morning she had a dentist's appointment at 8:30, so we figured Josh could take her in for x-rays after that. But he talked to our naturopath, who said it was likely ligament or tendon, and to take Arnica (homeopathic) for it. I didn't feel totally comfortable with that diagnosis, but trusted her.
But when Josh went back to work and Jasmine laid on the couch looking sadder and sadder, I wasn't so sure. His mom thought we should get it x-rayed, just to be sure.
There was almost no swelling and very little heat, so I didn't think anything would show up on the x-ray.

So I called the doctor's office. They were on lunch, but could get them in at 1:30. So Josh took them to the office...the wrong one. They didn't clarify and we all assumed different things. He had a choice: drive the 20 minutes to the other office, or stay and get in after 2 appointments that were before him at the office he was in.
He chose to stay put.


80 minutes later, they finally got him in.

The doctor looked at it and was pretty sure she was okay. She said it didn't hurt on the sides; it hurt on the top, on her leg right above the kneecap. But, just to be sure, she gave Josh a scrip to get it x-rayed at the Children's hospital.

So off they went...
Josh called me at 4:45 to tell me that it is fractured.

they'll be at the hospital for a few hours. It will get set...not sure if they'll put it in a cast or a splint.

I'm so heartbroken for her. my poor, active Kewpie.

I don't know any details like where the fracture is, or how long she'll be out of commission, or if they'll try to get her to use crutches or if they'll give her a walking cast or what (praying hard it's not going to be a wheelchair/stroller for the next few weeks!!) I'm not sure how much Josh knows at this point either, and since his cell phone is down to one bar of battery life, I likely won't know as much as he does until they get home tonight.

So no date tonight, no idea what we're doing about dinner...but I just can't believe my little sweetie has a broken bone!!!! :(


Update, 9:30 p.m.
Her femur is what broke. They said adults end up in almost full-body casts when that breaks, but she "only" has one covering her entire leg. She'll be in it for 4-6 weeks, no walking on it, and then should be perfectly fine.
I'm not sure if they'll send her home in a wheelchair, or expect that we'll use a stroller, or just what. We'll have to see about all of that.
So dinner for Bekah and I was eggs and toast, and I told Josh he should pick up something yummy for he and Jasmine. She's been through a lot today and deserves to be spoiled a little.
They gave her morphine when they set her leg, and Josh said it was the first time she didn't look like she was in horrible pain. My poor baby!!


Not to make light of it or anything, but I did have a nice time with the younger two today. I got this picture that makes me smile in spite of everything.
And Hudson rolled over (front to back) today! Unfortunately I didn't see it, because I put him down on the floor and went in to the kitchen for a second!

No comments: