Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Came *this close* to quitting

We're on week 8 (out of 9) of the Couch to 5K running program. I've been really enjoying it; the accomplishment of running longer than I ever imagined running, time as a family doing something active, and just the feeling of running!
But now we're at long, nonstop runs. (and by a "run" I mean a "jog." It's faster than we can get walking, but certainly not really running)
It's been really weird...we did two 25-minute runs that felt great, and two where I had to stop halfway through.
Today was the first 28-minute run (supposedly running 2 3/4 mile, but really aiming to pass the two-mile marker). I had to stop at about 18 minutes, and walked for about 5 minutes.
I was *so* ready to quit. Planned to sell the two jogging strollers and just stop pretending we could do it.
But I heard "just 5 more minutes" on our iPod, which has music we've set up with someone telling us when to start and stop, and I knew I should try again.
And then the last song started.

It feels like I have lost this fight
They think that I am staying down
But I'm not giving up tonight
Tonight the wall is coming down
I am stronger than my fears
This is the mountain that I climb
Got 100 steps to go
Tonight I'll make it 99

One more
Go one more
Yeah, yeah
Don't stop now
Go one more
Yeah, yeah
One more

Go one more
Go one more
Yeah, yeah

I have everything to lose
By not getting up to fight
I might get used to giving up
So I am showing up tonight
I am my own enemy
The battle fought within my mind
If I can overcome step one
I can face the 99
(emphasis mine)

So I didn't quit. I ran the last 5 minutes. and SPRINTED the last minute, the last stretch of pavement.

And then I was sure I wasn't ready to quit this. At the very least, I want to finish the program. And I'd really like to try at least one 5K. I may not make my goal of running one in under 30 minutes, especially while I'm pushing a 45-pound child in a stroller. But I'm going to do the best I can!

3 comments:

Amy Turon said...

You can do this Charlene. I fill my iPod with all kinds of worship songs, each with varying beats. Then I walk, run, or jog to the beat of whatever song is playing. I go 3 miles every day. It has been said in exercise circles that varying the tempo of your run/walk helps you actually burn more calories. The slowing and then speeding up actually is more beneficial. I wear a heart monitor so that I know exactly how many calories I am burning. You might like to purchase one for yourself. But running to the worship music is just great! Nothing better.

Michelle said...

GOOD FOR YOU, Charlene!!!!
YOU can keep it up!

Posegates said...

You can do it! And keep in mind that it is so much harder doing this with the stroller! SO much harder. If you really need encouragement you might try a run without the stroller and see how you do. You are basically swimming with a weight tied to you...some concept. :)