Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Couponing: A Challenge

I'm in the process of figuring out ways to save money (and actually start putting money aside).
I have a lot of friends who are serious couponers. It's more than a game to them. It's a lifestyle, a challenge, and I'm blown away hearing their stories.

So if you consider yourself a couponer, this post is for you.

Here are our restrictions. After reading this list, how much do you think *you* could save on our grocery bill? I'd love to know how to add in some money-saving techniques without completely changing our lifestyle.

1. We have specific brands (and specific flavors of those brands) that we can eat, and that we absolutely can't let into our house, thanks to Josh's MSG sensitivity. Canned soups (other than Annie's) are completely off-limits. As are Dorito's, and anything made from a box (except for Wegmans Mac and Cheese).

2. We eat a lot of organic food. I've cut down a little bit on some of this to save some money, but we still try to eat as much organic as possible. Fruits and veggies, half and half, butter, eggs, tomato sauce and canned beans are always organic. I'm trying not to buy canned tomato products after hearing that there's BPA in the lining, and we don't buy anything with HFCS in it. Or artificial colors.

3. I only go to one store a week, preferably without any additional trips there unless I forgot the eggs.

4. Wegmans doubles coupons up to $1.00. You can't go under free. It messes up their registers.

5. The newspapers here are extremely expensive, so buying one on Sundays isn't practical when I can only use an average of one or two coupons a week. I'd lose money. Besides, I tell myself I'm helping save the environment by not bringing home more paper.

6. I have no problem printing coupons (but won't purchase those coupons since in general they expire before I use them).

7. We make our own laundry detergent. I can't imagine getting it to cost less than the probably $9 a year this costs us.

8. We don't use normal medicines or deodorants. Well, Advil is in our cupboards, but that's about it. It's all herbs and homeopathics, most of which we get on Vitacost at much lower prices than what we can find locally.

So...any suggestions? Or am I just too stubborn to save any money without changing things up first?

3 comments:

Erin said...

Ask your friends who do purchase a Sunday paper to set aside any organic coupons - most people don't buy those products anyway, since they tend to cost more. Make sure to sign up on the websites for products you love - they often send you coupons. And if you love a product, write the company to let them know (another way to get coupons AND it helps make sure they keep making what you like).

Charla said...

Good thoughts! Unfortunately most of my local friends eat like I do, but it's definitely worth asking!!!

I've written to companies (sometimes it has gotten me coupons!) and like their FB pages :) I frequently get coupons from Wegmans, though not always for things I will actually use!

Anonymous said...

Shop drugstores for toilet paper, cleaning supplies, tooth brushes, ect. I get most of these things free or very cheap with coupons/sales/rebate programs and then allocate that money to buying healthy organic food.