Thursday, February 09, 2012

Feeding Bekah

You'd never know it by looking at her, but Bekah is every bit as stubborn as...well, me.


She doesn't like to eat. Well, if it's something she likes, she'll eat. But if it's something she's not fond of, she'll just excuse herself and "patiently" wait for the next meal. (in quotes because she will tell me that she wishes she could eat a snack, but she knows the rules).

So I thought I'd see if my creative friends and family could help suggest some new ingredients to try. It's not just that she won't try new meals...it's that most of my favorite ingredients have joined her "no way" list.


She likes 
chicken nuggets, hot dogs (which are becoming obsolete in our house) and eggs.
She loves vanilla yogurt and macaroni, though she gets this awful, barky cough if she has more than a little dairy so I limit her intake there.
She loves cereal, and she's a big fan of pizza (with pepperoni, but since that gives Josh a reaction we usually get cheese pizzas).
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a big hit. She likes it when I make them with mozzarella and dip them in sauce. I do, too.
She likes peanut butter and jelly (or honey) but isn't really a fan of the peanut butter. Or the crusts (I don't budge on that one)
She's okay with cauliflower and likes lima beans (I think. but that might have been Jasmine.)
noodles are sometimes acceptable, depending on what's on them.
Fish. she loves salmon sandwiches (of course that's expensive, but we don't do tuna because of the mercury content).


She doesn't like:
potatoes in any form
rice
chicken (unless in chicken nuggets or drumsticks with a yummy skin still on it)
tomatoes
salad or any greens
burgers, or really any ground beef unless it's in tacos
guacamole
sweet potatoes (I don't think she'll actually try these, and I've never cooked with them, but she says she doesn't like them, likely because they have potato in their name)
eggplant, zucchini, brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach
corn (corn-on-the-cob is okay but she won't eat much of it that way, either)
peppers, mushrooms (I don't like them either so they're not usually ever in this house)
spaghetti (see note above)
lasagna


That's all we can come up with. I'll add things if I think of them later.
(side note: as far as we know, there are no allergies. She does get that barky cough with too much dairy, or any ice cream or milk at all, but that's it. who knows about MSG, since it's just not allowed in the house. But this all seems to  be preferences and not true dietary issues)

No comments: