Friday, April 14, 2006

A quandary and another new word

Today's word: "see!" :)

Do you have a hard time watching others, especially those close to you, choose different paths from the one you have chosen? I'm not going to give specifics, because I don't want to offend, but if you chose to do something because you really felt it was the best thing you could do, whether for yourself, your spouse, or your baby, is it hard when you see someone consciously choose the opposite? Or can you just blow it off, and say "it's their own decision, it's none of my business"? I wish I could do that.

It's funny. I consider myself pretty "crunchy" (natural, closer to the hippies than the yuppies)...breast-feeding, baby-wearing, natural-birthing, some organic food-eating...but then there are things I don't have a problem with (like disposable diapers...I've done the other, and I'm just too lazy to be bothered with it with Jasmine!) I feel a little guilty defending that position with people who cloth diaper. Likely because of the above paragraph...because I know how much those other decisions mean to me.

So am I just closed-minded? Or is it more normal to feel strongly about decisions that you make with your heart, and not just your mind?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! You've read my mind! I'm quite like yourself (having just learned the term "crunchy" you're only the 2nd person I've heard use it!); Bradley method child birth, breastfed oldest DS until he was 17 months, still nursing my 13 month old DS, homemade baby foods, organics when I can get them, cosleeping (not for too long, though- about 4 months with each :o). . ..etc.
I try to keep in mind that what works for me may not "work" for others. For example, my friend Stacey's babies didn't sleep in her room- she could listen to them on the monitor, but having them that close woke her up constantly through the night and made for 1 very tired and cranky Mommy. (LOL- her #2 actually slept in the bassinet right outside their door in the hallway!)
Anyway- just wanted to pipe in with an "I know how you feel." And if you're planning on expanding your family, I think it gets easier (the feels that you talked about- they were definitley stronger when it was just us and DS1).
Glad to know another Chick that has some of the same views that I do!!