Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Chinese Food

I am just so far behind on the pictures-of-the-day! Sorry about that! Maybe I'll do a photo-heavy post tomorrow. We'll see!

Tonight was our date. I found that one of the two closest Chinese restaurants is MSG-free, so we called to order from there and take it home. (we play a game and eat supper at home...more relaxing and no tip!)
When I called to order, I told him I wanted a number 2 combo meal. He said "Shrimp Chow Mein?" I said yes, and he said, "do you know what that is?" I was a little surprised by the question, but said that yes, I did.
I ordered Josh's dish too, and we dropped off the girls and went to get our food.

Josh went in, and I sat in the car and read. (I'm most of the way through Ann Coulter's Godless, read almost entirely at gas stations and other places when he runs in somewhere while I stay in the car. Funny book!) He was in there a looooooong time.

He finally came back out and informed me that they'd goofed up and given the food to the wrong customer. He asked what it was we had ordered, and again asked if I really wanted the Chow Mein. Josh ran out to the car to make sure. The guy told Josh, "it's not the one with the noodles. That's Lo Mein. Most people want the noodles. This one is cabbage in a cream sauce. Are you sure that's what you want?" At this point I started questioning it myself. What could sound more unappealing than cabbage in a cream sauce? Yuck!
But I stuck to my guns and thought I'd try it, even if it did turn out to be different from what I'm used to. He got our food and we headed home.

Nope. No cabbage. No "cream" sauce. It was exactly the way Chow Mein is supposed to look and taste. I suppose it's creamier than a Lo Mein, and it has vegetables instead of noodles, but I thought Chow Mein was actually a pretty popular dish, and I got exactly what I had expected!!

So we spent some time trying to figure him out.

We think he doesn't like Chow Mein, and one time he, or a good buddy of his, accidentally ordered Chow Mein and was so grossed out, they can't understand anyone choosing this one on purpose!

any other suggestions of what could drive him to questioning people's choices?

No comments: