Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Clarinet Stuff

I haven't played all that much since I got out of college. I played in the college-community orchestra the year before I met Josh, and for the first semester married, and then had to stop...it's a ridiculous drive :)

And playing in pit orchestras is my all-time favorite way to play. There is one person per part, so I can't "lean on" anyone else. It's all me. And you never know what nerves will do to the actors...if they sing it twice as fast as they ever did in rehearsal, you follow and stay right with them. It's vital to stay on top of things (unless you're a clarinet playing Mozart's Magic Flute, in which case it's a good idea to bring a long book. BORING part!) No orchestra score is quite as exciting (For a clarinetist) as Fiddler on the Roof, but others have their moments and are just a great experience.

So when I heard that they needed a clarinet in the musical our church is putting on next Easter, I jumped at the chance. Um, but I'll have a one-month old. So timing could be interesting.

There was a meeting last night for all the actors, dancers, musicians and others, interested in being a part of this. I talked to the girl who will be conducting and organizing the orchestra. She needs two clarinets...there were two of us there (the other was a woman I've never seen before) and she (the conductor) can play too, if necessary.

I told her I was willing to be the one to be "cut" because of the baby...but I'm still going to audition (also a weird thing for me...never auditioned for a pit orchestra before! It's always been with people who know my ability! Haven't actually auditioned since before college, so this is a great chance to brush up on my skills a bit).

The music is very, very easy. It does some time-signature changes, though even that is pretty easy and makes sense with the words. Not just changing for the sake of doing it. So she suggested that we play something with time-signature changes for the audition. Yay Bernstein...I played a piece just like that, probably 9 years ago.

I played for a few minutes last night, and then again this afternoon. It feels so good to play! It helped that Jasmine was sitting in her high chair, munching on a bagel, enjoying my music.

And now I have the "line" in my lower lip that comes from playing the clarinet (actually it's from my teeth in my lip, but practicing it is what brings it back). So much fun :)

No comments: