Wednesday, August 23, 2006

update on the appointment with my midwife

The appointment (in case you didn't read the last post about why this appointment was needed, here it is) went great. She didn’t change the date back, BUT acknowledged that the date could be wrong, and that if my 18 week u/s (16-weeks by my date) shows the baby smaller (which it will, since they think I’ll be 18 weeks!) then they’ll look at all the numbers and back it back up to something closer to my date.

And even then, it’s not set in stone. If the baby seems fine and there’s plenty of fluid, they won’t rush to induce.

And, worse scenario (not worst-case, but certainly far from ideal) if they induce me, she’ll make sure they do it gradually and let me keep walking around, and cut the pitocin as soon as my body kicks in. So none of those horror stories about all the pitocin making it unbearable.

It was really interesting. Only 20% of the women who choose to go with her, intend to have natural childbirth. When she was studying to be a CNM, she had the idealistic view that she’d have all natural births, having no idea how few women around here go for that.
It really helped to explain why there are so few doctors and midwives that push natural birth, why there’s no birthing center, no homebirthing midwife, no birthing suites in the hospital...everyone goes in expecting an epidural! Sad, but it really helped everything to click.
So she’s thrilled that I’m so determined to do this, and she’s going to do everything in her power to help that to happen. And if there’s another woman in labor when I go in, she’ll likely come see me, since the other woman will likely not need her as much as the anesthesiologist. :)

So that’s the appointment. We are both so reassured. She was so disappointed to hear that I left crying from my last appointment…said I should have called her and talked about it right away. So I’m thrilled that I didn’t wait to talk to her until my next appointment. She said it’s certainly nothing to lose sleep over, and I really believe she’ll do all she can to help us do this the right way :)

No comments: