Monday, May 14, 2007

Garage Sales and Roller Coaster Days

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

What a day we had yesterday!! I have some things to add to my little write-up on our website about garage sales, after our experience yesterday. But for now it will just go here...
We decided to stop at garage sales yesterday on our way to my parents' house. Being Mother's Day, there weren't all that many, which didn't surprise me. But we saw a great sign that we thought looked promising. Even had a big arrow! "Huge Garage Sale, today only, follow the arrows." So we meandered through their neighborhood, following their fantastic signs. Almost there, the signs finally gave the address. We got to their street...no arrow indicating which way on their street. I looked for street numbers...there was no sign because the house was right at the end of the T (i.e. straight ahead). Um, and closed. GRRRRR. We turned around to see another car doing the same thing.
How can people be so completely inconsiderate??? How can you truly not care that you're sending people on a wild goose chase because you're too lazy to take down your signs? I hate seeing signs that are old, but at least have dates so we could stop and read it, if we took the time to, but this?? There's no way we would have known it wasn't still going on.
So we took down the sign at the main intersection. Not for the rude people who didn't get around to it, but for others like us. I was so frustrated.

There were almost no other signs, so we headed to my parents', and then stopped at a house that had had one in the past. Thankfully they were selling new (well, not the same) stuff...they had great stuff, and good prices to start with, and she told Josh all prices were negotiable. We got a shelf for the girls' toys, a bin half-full of huge lego-type blocks,a sit-n-spin, a Fisher-Price barn, Toy Story on VHS, and three books ("Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" (i.e. Goldbug)," The complete adventures of Pooh," and "Hush Little Baby") for $12!!!
This sale made the whole garage sale experience of the day much better. A few more experiences like the first one could have turned me off of even trying for a few weeks, so I'm thankful that it ended on a better note.

**********

It all started when we both forgot to drink our goji juice yesterday morning. I can never believe how much it helps level my emotions, and Josh always notices a lack of energy when he forgets it. So it was our fault that the day was such a roller coaster.

We showered, bathed the girls, and got ourselves all gussied up for brunch with his family. We made it out on time, just barely, and went to the restaurant. The meal was amazing as always, and Jasmine enjoyed getting things she likes to eat. Rebekah was a sweetie, just looking around at everyone.

I hadn't brought in the camera, though I realized there's a pretty fountain outside that would have been nice for pictures of Jasmine. No problem; we got some last Easter, and we would have many opportunities at my parents' house. But when we got to the car, I couldn't find the camera. Josh looked, and couldn't find it either.

So we went back home before heading East. Josh got changed, I grabbed a glass of water, and we didn't find the camera. I remembered putting it in the car, so I was very worried it had fallen out or somehow gotten stolen. I buckled Rebekah back in the carseat, and there, under Jasmine's seat, was the camera!! I was so relieved.

We headed to my parents' and stopped at the two garage sales I already wrote about (2 or 3 others too, but absolutely nothing that we needed or wanted at those). We had a great visit with my parents, siblings, mom's parents, and her sister and her husband. There were 18 people there, if I counted right (which is a big if!). Rebekah almost rolled over onto her tummy. She can get her bottom and legs all the way over, but can't figure out how to move the bottom arm out of the way. We all cheered her on as she tried, until she started complaining (she still rarely cries, preferring to loudly complain) and gave up.

Most of the adults and Rebekah went to mom's favorite coffee shop for yummy drinks, and Jasmine played with her aunts and uncles. We got back and got ready to go...and I asked where Jenny was (Jenny is Jasmine's beloved doll, who she now has with her every night. She burps her and plays with her like I play with Rebekah. Absolutely adorable). Josh said, "She left her at that last garage sale!" Yup, that's what we figured out, because she wasn't in the car or the house, and he remembered her taking Jenny with her to the garage sale and then helping him bring the stuff we were buying.

Vivian has the same doll, so she grabbed it and gave it to Jasmine so she wouldn't realize Jenny was missing. She took it without question, which we were very thankful about.

So we drove back (thankfully it was right on our way, not off on some side street, and since we'd been to that house in the past, he remembered exactly where it was). No lights were on at the house (it was almost 9:45) so he looked through the garage sale stuff left in the yard to make sure she wasn't there. Nope. He went to the door and rang the bell, praying they weren't asleep. Nope! And thankfully, she saw it right after we left, and had set it aside so no-one would take it.
Jasmine was completely out, so she didn't see that there were suddenly two Jennys in the car.
We put Vivian's away and gave her the real Jenny, so when she woke up all was like normal.

I'm not sure how well I did really showing the ups and downs...the next day things don't seem as bad as the moment they happen. Hope you get the idea!

Anyways...I should have fun layouts coming with the great pictures from yesterday!

No comments: