Monday, June 04, 2007

Page, and baseball thoughts

I didn't see this when it happened (you don't have to read the link to understand what I'm talking about; it's just in case you want the whole story), but I read about it this morning. I know he's a Yankee, but I also know I'd feel this way if he'd been playing for Boston. (when A-Rod hit a home run during his "hot streak" and Coco Crisp fell over the wall into the bullpen, I gasped and didn't cheer on Alex until I saw that Coco was fine. And anyone who knows me, knows how much I like the Red Sox).

A few years ago, Jorge Posada was hit on the ear with a bat. He went down. The pitcher didn't see, and threw the ball to him to try to stop someone from running home. Not only did Georgie not catch the ball, but the run that happened because of that injury counted.
And last night two runs scored because Doug suffered a concussion...and Jeter was given an error!! Add insult to injury, why don't you?
I'm not talking about the fact that those runs could have changed the outcome of the game. There's a bigger problem here.
Baseball is supposedly a "gentlemen's sport." How is it gentlemanly to score a run when your opponent is hurt? I think it's time to add a new rule to the books. The batter should have gone back and continued as if it had never happened, like you could erase time back to before the pitch that started the problems. (after bringing in a replacement, of course).

I always took the saying "it's all fun and games until someone's eye gets poked out" and added "...and then it's a sport." But I didn't mean there were suddenly no penalties for that!!

Okay. Enough about that. I made a page this afternoon while the girls slept in my arms. My favorite picture is the one where she's wearing the life jacket, a ring, and sitting on the boat :) Talk about not taking any chances!!

No comments: