Friday, June 22, 2007

Garden!

I have wanted my own "bit of dirt" for awhile now. Working on the immense, beautiful gardens when we were housesitting was nice, but it wasn't my garden. So now that we live in a house we own (or are paying mortage on...I think at this point we own one of the roof shingles, if even that much!) I wanted to start a garden.
The front yard has simple landscaping done. Nothing too exciting, but it looks nice, so I'm not in a huge rush to change it. There is a row of bushes on the side of the yard with some gaping holes, so we started talking about filling in the gaps (but the local nursery doesn't carry Japanese Holly) or replacing it, which would cost even more.

But most of all, I wanted an English Cottage-style garden. It would look silly in our small front yard, but the fence on the left side of the yard looks like the perfect backdrop for my dream garden. So I started looking at putting a garden all along that fence. There's still tons of room for Jasmine (and Rebekah, next summer) to run and play.

So we went out during our date on Wednesday and got the first flowers. Daisies because they're "the friendliest flower" (I love them!), zinnias because they're fun and easy to care for, and a few that were mentioned as being easy and standards in an English garden on this site.

Last night Josh cut up the section, I pulled out the weeds and grass while he ran out for mulch and topsoil, (Jasmine helped)
and we planted them! I'm so excited! It's not big yet, and I know it will take awhile before it fills in and looks "English garden-y" but it's a start.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

The garden looks great Charlene!! I just finished mine and boy doesn't it feel good!!