Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thoughts on Faith

I've been doing a lot of thinking about faith lately. Want to hear my present conclusions?

I used to think faith meant sitting, waiting for God to drop ____________ in my lap. A job, a husband, a house...didn't doing something mean I wasn't trusting Him to do it?

But if you look at all the miracles Jesus performed, you see that the person being healed had to do something in order for the healing to occur. The paralyzed man had to say he wanted to be healed. The woman "with the issue of blood" chased him to touch his robe.

So why did I expect it to be different for me? Why did I think I had to sit still and wait for Josh to show up at my doorstep? Sure, it could have happened, but it wasn't very likely.

It's very interesting to me that Josh came into my life as soon as I obeyed my mom and signed up on the Christian personals website; when I had tried on another site and looked for Christians, I didn't find anyone remotely close to what I was praying to find. But as soon as mom asked me to try this, I met Josh.

Now that I'm believing God for other things, I'm trying to ask Him what my job is in making it happen. For example, we believe God wants us to be debt-free. So Josh is working extra hours, and I'm trying to encourage him in that and do what I need to at home so that he can do that without burning out.

Cool, huh?

No comments: