Wednesday, September 19, 2007

This is your life...are you who you want to be?

I heard this Switchfoot song today (the title of this post) and it made me think. And be very thankful.

When I came home from Turkey, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Well, I knew what I wanted ultimately (to be a wife and mother) but with no husband in sight, I couldn't do either of those things. (well, not without upsetting God and everyone I knew). So I wandered for a couple years, filling in the time with secretarial jobs and working retail.

During this time, I read Jeter's autobiography/self-help book, "Who You Want To Be." It was all about how you need to have a dream to work towards. Nothing new, but it made me realize that the "wilderness time" I was experiencing left me with no dream, no goal, no hopes...I was just wandering, waiting, and getting more and more worried as I read the book.

Thankfully, Josh came into my life, and I'm now doing exactly what I always wanted to do. So now, I can honestly look at that question and say, "yes, I am who I want to be!"

(well, in complete honesty, I am who I want to be, and I am happy with where we are, but I'm having an "I wish I could get a break" day, so I'm not quite as much of a "Susie Sunshine" as this post may sound.)

No comments: