Friday, May 12, 2006

Matsui

It's so sad. Matsui is out for three months, possibly the whole season.

First of all, for my non-baseball-fan readers (assuming I have any readers other than Karen) Matsui is the left-fielder for the Yankees. Called Godzilla, he is an iron man...he had an incredible run of consecutive games (518 in NY, 1768 total counting his career in Japan).

What really gets to me, though, is that Mom saw him as being similar in personality to Josh. So of course he's my favorite :) He's so steadfast, so unassuming, so much an integral, but non-flashy, part of the team...and such a good guy.They're saying right now on TV that he's apologizing for having a season-ending injury. Can you even imagine?

Anyways, what I really wanted to say was that when today's game was about to start, they showed his wrist-breaking play about 10 times in a row, from different angles, at different speeds. Can you tell me why that's necessary? I mean, really. I hate it when they do that. I can kind of understand showing it right after it happens, when they're trying to figure out what happened, and how serious it is. But the guy had surgery on the wrist today. So obviously it was bad!

They did the same thing a few years ago, when Posada (the catcher) was hit by a bat that the batter just swung too far around. He fell over and was bleeding pretty badly. And they showed it, over and over and over and over.

I'll end this by saying that I'm praying for Matsui and Sheffield, that they heal quickly. Not for the sake of the team (though we miss them there) but so that they're not in pain anymore. We miss you!

No comments: