Friday, November 16, 2012

Talents

Train up a child in the way he should go
And when he is old, he will not depart.

Most people take that to mean train them biblically, which is definitely a huge part of our role as parents.
But there's another side of it, which a couple different people have mentioned to me, and which I've been thinking about more and more lately.
It's about finding their strengths, finding what makes them tick, and helping them hone those into skills that will hopefully give them more joy and maybe some career direction later in life.
For Jasmine, right now she has two passions she's been working on. (when she's not learning all the dances on our "ABBA So You Can Dance" Wii game).
One of them is drawing. She's gotten a really sweet feeling to her drawings lately, and her newest makes me smile. I told Josh we should make a children's book and use her as the illustrator. We could have a success on our hands!

Introducing Jasmine's clowns, Sweet Girl and Juggle Man.

The second thing she's been really working hard on is gymnastics. She has no training, and, um, Josh and I are over our heads in this arena. But she's learning, and today she achieved one of her goals:


I wasn't sure what she'd think when she saw the last picture...she knew immediately what her next goal is (to get her legs to be "straight like a board"). I'm so proud of her, and I love seeing her determination going toward something positive and awesome!

No comments: