Friday, November 09, 2012

The Trail

{First off, it's important to note that the kids are never told what we're having for a meal. That's a key to understanding this story.}

I heard a lot of giggling last night, while I made dinner. I thought nothing of it, though.

When Jasmine came in with a sign, though, it was time to pay attention.
The sign:


(translation: Please follow the trail. It will lead you somewhere.)
I obediently followed the trail of pencils, books, stuffed animals and blankets.
Through the kitchen and dining room, up the stairs, into the kids' room, to their closet.
and nothing was there. Nothing. (well, their mostly-emptied bins, thanks to needing the contents for said trail).

I came back downstairs, confused, but thinking the trail was clever.

Then Jasmine clued me in: they wanted to get me out of the kitchen so they could peek into the pans and figure out dinner!!
And it worked!!

I suggested they have Josh follow the trail too, so he could see how clever it was. They'd need to move the start of the trail, though, since he'd be passing it to get to the original stopping point.
They didn't quite understand. They made a second trail, from the front door to the kitchen, detached from the one that went up the stairs. So Josh didn't understand anything that was going on.

But here's the video and a peek at the trail:

1 comment:

Amy Turon said...

So cute!! What a great idea they had. And it worked too, that's the best part. Love it.