Saturday, September 11, 2010

A different world

I wasn't going to write about this. But I can't help it!

My kids are growing up in a very different world from the one I was brought up in. And it's on the anniversary of 9/11 that it really hits home.

We had all the kids wear their most patriotic clothes today. I told Jasmine briefly what today is about. She can get more details as she is older and more capable of dealing with it. I don't want her to be afraid to get on a plane, because that is not what the anniversary is about.
Josh told Bekah about it.
Hudson probably heard and understands more than we think, but he's not letting on.

But when we went to a little restaurant for lunch, and they were playing footage from 9 years ago at the same moment, it got really hard to handle.
Going through all the emotions of that day all over again, but this time knowing what was going to happen, too.

But I think it was really good. Because with those emotions comes a stronger determination to do what I can to make America be the best it can be.
It seems out of my grasp, but there's at least one thing that I know I can, and most definitely will, do: vote in Tuesday's primaries. I'm counting down the days until the November election, but for now I'll gladly vote for the people who best represent what, to me, will make this country even greater than it was before.

I will also continue to teach my children what it means to be an American. What our family did to keep it united and strong. About all the people who fought in wars, who preached God's word, who helped their neighbors in times of need, who played banjo during the Depression to bring people joy.

And to be proud of our heritage.
Because to be an American is something to be proud of.

No comments: