Friday, September 24, 2010

Ethnic Cousine #2: "Spanish"

Restaurant.com had one entry for a Spanish restaurant, so we decided to give it a try for our date this week.

But when we showed up on Wednesday, the "open" sign wasn't lit. The door was unlocked and the lights on, so we stopped in and talked to the owner. He told us that they would be open Thursday and Friday, but that they were on their way downtown to their catering place.
So we decided on Mexican...it wasn't the same as trying something new, but it was still good.

Last night, I was going to make dinner but realized I'd forgotten to buy noodles for the stroganoff I had planned to make. So it was either go out to eat using that gift certificate, or Josh could come home much later while I made one of the other, less-quick dinners on my menu for the week.
I managed to convince him that the restaurant was the better option. Hopefully he's forgiven me by now.
We stopped at Target for a couple things, including the noodles so I'm set tonight.
Then off to the restaurant. With three kids...Hudson had just had a good nap, Bekah was falling asleep in the car, and Jasmine was being her sweet, grown-up self.
There was only one other group there, so we picked a table and the owner said he'd bring us the menus in a minute.
I noticed a map of Puerto Rico on the wall. Hmm. Maybe this wasn't as Spanish as we thought it would be.
Got the menus...chose our dinners...wow! great prices!...
The kids loved the fish tank with two huge fish. They played "keep away" through the glass.
But Hudson's attention wasn't kept. He started trying to get into the kitchen. He tried to run out the front door. He wanted to do anything but look at the fish or sit in my lap.
After about a half hour, the owner brought the kids a container of play-doh. That kept them happy for a few minutes, though Hudson thought it was a "bah" that needed to be thrown.
Ten minutes later, we were all frazzled and ready to leave, but then the food got there.
And it's good that we stuck around.
YUMMMM!
The kids got pastelillos with chicken pizza fillings. Josh and I chose main dishes as well as pastelillos of our own. I got mofongo and Josh got picadillo.

And we all had way too much food.For a really good price, even before the gift certificate knocked a bunch off the price.
Conclusion: we'll go back, definitely, but without the kids.

No comments: