Friday, February 23, 2007

Loyalties

Happy Friday :)

One of my more prominent character traits is loyalty. I consider that it's sometimes a weakness, though Josh said he doesn't think it's anything to consider a bad thing.
For one thing, I'm a Wegmans girl. I was even when I didn't want to think about working there (since everyone in my high school worked there, it made me want to stay away). We hated Tops, the other supermarket chain, simply because it wasn't Wegmans (now I have other reasons for disliking Tops, like their consistently bad customer service). So it worked out well that I worked in the bakery all the way through college (and got a scholarship from them my third and fourth years).
Once I've decided I like something, it can be hard to turn me away from it. I'm loyal to Istanbul, and Turkey in general, even when I hear about something in the news that makes me sad. I had a really hard time admitting to liking the new version of Sabrina, simply because it wasn't the Audrey Hepburn version (it did finally win me over, though). When I found a hairdresser I wasn't even willing to look at anywhere else.
I've been thinking of this more lately because I don't have a home for my scrapbook designing at the moment. I've been in two stores, both of which closed shortly after I started selling (not my fault, really. I'm more like Howard Bannister, and less like Judy Maxwell...it's out of my control, but the hotel management might be threatening to kick me out because I'm the one they see).
I have my "big dreams" of designing someday at my favorite scrapping site, but since it's one of the bigger sites, they want people who have some selling already under their belts. So part of me thinks I should look to one of the smaller, newer sites and get some experience...but I have a really hard time considering selling somewhere that I would leave when I got a better offer. Just seems so disloyal, like I'm "using" them.
I know part of my loyalty also comes because I take things very personally. As though Wegmans cares if I suddenly started shopping at Tops. Or the Yankees would be personally insulted if I rooted for the Cardinals for one game. I know those are extreme cases, but it's still something I think about.
Anyone else struggle with this? Am I just being silly?


Here are a few layouts from the past couple days:

You can see the credits for these in my gallery at TDC.

1 comment:

Sinead said...

Charlene, I hear ya on loyalties and feel the same way, though the situation that you describe about selling your designs doesn't necessarily smack of "using" other stores to me. There's nothing that says that you would have to leave those places once you realize your dream at the bigger place (and keep dreaming--I'd love to see you there some day, too!). ((hugs)) You're such a sweet chick to have around. I can't imagine any place without ya!