Friday, June 02, 2006

Quite a Scare

Josh forwarded an email to me from Compassion International a little bit ago. We have two sponsored children through them, one in Indonesia and one in Peru. The email was to let us know that 12 of Compassion's projects were affected by the earthquake, and three children were killed.

I freaked out. They said they'd get in touch with people whose children were affected, and I would have hoped they'd call people whose children had died, before sending out a message like that. So I found her card, and she lives in a project not listed on their website as the one that lost the children.

I don't know anything else...we may not know for awhile if they lost their house or the school or anything, but at least we know she is still alive.

I wrote her a letter online, which will hopefully get to her soon. It seems to take about 2 months from start to finish, but I'm kinda hoping they'll rush these a little...

It's bringing back some pictures and memories of the earthquake in Istanbul. In a culture that believes in a capricious god, it's hard to relax after an earthquake, especially when there are constant aftershocks. People got so worried and lived in such a constant state of fear after the earthquakes, and since Indonesia also had the Tsunami 1 1/2 years ago, I'm sure they're not exactly relaxing right now. There are still people in Turkey who are living in containers, having gotten totally scared and refusing to move back into a building, for fear that it, too, will collapse. And that earthquake was in August of 1999!

This is pretty disjointed...sorry. I'm trying to sort out my thoughts, but it's not coming out very clearly.

If you pray, please pray for her. It always helps me when I'm praying for something like this, when there's a name to go along with the large group of people, so you can pray for Priskila. Thanks :)

No comments: