Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Story Time *Warning: slightly graphic* (tried not to be too graphic)

Well, since I hinted about this in a silly thread on TDC, I thought I'd tell the whole story here. Mom, Josh and any other family that might be reading, you've heard this story many times...

When I was 7, right after we moved to Connecticut, the light fixture above the kitchen table fell. It landed pretty much directly on my nose. I went numb immediately, but could tell it was bleeding, but I really thought it was from the impact, since I had no pain at all. (this story, from start to finish, is an amazing one of how much God is watching out for me). There were no mirrors anywhere near me, so I never saw what it looked like (another good thing). The family kinda freaked out, and mom tried to call the next door neighbor, the only neighbor we'd met so far. She wasn't home.

So mom, 7 or 8 months pregnant with Evan, ran down the street to the next house, and asked the lady there where we should go to the hospital. The lady told us to go to Springfield, a 20-minute drive (in MA). So we went, with mom sitting in the back seat with me, holding my head on her lap and a wet washcloth over my nose.

We got in there, and various people came in and looked at me. At one point a doctor (?) came in and moved my nose to see just how big of a cut it was...at that point dad had to leave. It was bad. (across the bridge of my nose and deep) I was still numb and pretty clueless, and never even thought of asking questions.

They gave me a shot of some kind (seems like directly in the cut, but I don't know for sure) to keep it from getting infected, and the numbness immediately wore off. OUCH!! It was not pleasant.

They had the plastic surgeon on call come in to take care of me. He stitched me up (ouch!) I had 24 stitches in total. They put plugs in my nostrils (which made me sneeze constantly) and quite a bit of bandaging on my nose. They gave me an antibiotic, and mom bought me a 3 Musketeers. Both tasted horrible, with absolutely no sense of smell. When I got the plugs out a week or so later, I couldn't believe that the medicine actually tasted like grape, not just like nasty medicine!

This is just to show you how slight my scar is. In real life, in just the right light, you can see a faint line, but almost nothing. God is good. Very, very good.

1 comment:

Kimberlee said...

Yikes! I almost wish curiosity hadn't gotten the better of me. That sounds sooooo terrible! Glad everything worked out okay. :)