Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Defending the Yankees

I know the Yankees are the team 'everyone loves to hate.' But just because people start smoking because they see it as "cool," does it make it intelligent?? (this is not aimed at the big rivals, Red Sox and Mets. The feeling is supposed to be mutual in a rivalry that intense. I'm talking the commentators who insist on constantly making "David and Goliath" references. You know, sometimes we get tired of being referred to as the bad, evil guy.)

No, I won't be so defensive today. I know people have strong opinions about the Yankees, and I understand that. I also hear many of the complaints about them, so I thought I'd voice the other side. I don't necessarily expect to convince anyone to change how they feel, but at least listen for a second to the other side, okay?

First off, A-Rod. Yes, he is the highest-paid player in baseball. Yes, he makes a huge amount of money. And yes, he's having a rough time right now.

But he is no doubt heading to the hall of fame. He is one of baseball's best players, EVER. Unlike Barry Bonds, Giambi, Sosa, McGuire,...there is no hint of steroids in his life. He is doing it purely on talent and incredible hard work.

He is also a gentleman. He has much higher expectations of himself than even his harshest critic. I really think that's why he's struggling so much right now...he's defeating himself. He keeps expecting himself to outdo last year. That's nearly impossible. He was MVP! You can't top that, year after year!

The other thing, about baseball salaries in general, including his, and Yankees payroll. Yes, they pay for top players (though people are going to have to keep their mouths shut about that soon, between Cano, Wang and Melky Cabrera!) but they get more than 5 million fans a year, who pay a lot of money for their tickets. What better thing to do with that money, than to pay the people who bring in the fans??? And what better way to pay the fans back, than by trying to bring in the best players?

People have also been known to take a smaller salary, just for the chance to play in Pinstripes. The Yankees have an amazing tradition. Not only of winning more world championships than any other team in any sport, ever, but a tradition of pride and sportsmanship.

I love that they all are clean-shaven and keep their hair short (well, almost all of them have short hair, not sure how Wang got away with keeping his a bit longer). I love that their uniforms are still the traditional uniform. I love that Joe Torre doesn't put up with "prima donna" attitudes from anyone. At the first sign of that with Raul Mondesi, he was traded. David Wells has a history of being one, but he was kept in his place when he was in Pinstripes.

I know a lot of people don't like George Steinbrenner. I don't really know much about him, just that he runs a tight ship and is willing to pay a lot of money for men he thinks will do well with the Yankees. Not bad things in my book :)

I know there were other things on my mind too, but this is all I can think of right now. More to follow if they were worth mentioning :)

No comments: