Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Blog Prompt: Favorite Athlete

Can I pick an entire team??

It's the all-star break, so I have most of the week to fill. I'm missing my team!

But who's my favorite?

Jeter, because he's the reason I started watching the Yankees (every time he came up to bat, mom would call down the hall, "Jeter's up to bat, and he's still single")

A-Rod because he represents an amazing all-around player (and a great guy) and will likely beat many, many records, with no question of the legitimacy of them (i.e. no steroid questions)

Matsui because he's Mr. Dependable, doing his job with excellence but without flashiness, in spite of being one of Japan's favorite players (Mom says he's like Josh in temperment)

Mariano Rivera because he lets his faith show in his life, and is such an amazing role model in so many ways...with his pitching, his faith, his positive attitude (comes out of his faith), his determination to learn English and his pushing others to do the same...

Giambi because, though he messed up in the past, he pushed through it and proved he is an amazing ball player without drugs. And he never made excuses, always trying to make the fans proud of him.

Mike Mussina, because he is a "thinking man's pitcher." Sooo far from the stereotypical "dumb athlete," he graduated with a degree in accounting from Stanford in three years. He is finally having a year that really shows his dependability and is getting the run support he's always deserved.

I think that's enough for now. :)

2 comments:

Angela said...

Excellent, Charlene! Jeter is a cutie, isn't he? :)

Stacey said...

Well, can't say I'm a Yankees fan...gotta stick with my home team the Orioles (even though they aren't doing great). I must say I do miss Mussina!! Glad to hear he is getting the run support in NY because he surely didn't get it in Baltimore!!